Wednesday 15 June 2016

Anonymous: The Ape, the Monkey and Baboon did meet


The Ape, the Monkey and Baboon did meet,
And breaking of their fast in fryday Street,
Two of them sware together solemnly
In their three natures was a simpathie.
Nay, quoth Baboon, I do deny that straine,
I have more knavery in me than you twaine.

Why, quoth the Ape, I have a horse at will
In Parris Garden for to ride on still,
And there show trickes. Tush, quoth the Monkey, I
For better trickes in great men's houses lie.
Tush, quoth Baboone, when men do know I come,
For sport, from City, country, they will runne.


From an Elizabethan song-book. Sometimes ascribed to composer Thomas Weelkes (1576-1623), who wrote a madrigal to the words; but there is no evidence that Weelkes is the author. It looks very much like a lampoon of once recognisable individuals. Now all that's left is the very lively verse.

No comments:

Post a Comment