Monday 20 June 2016

Sylvia Plath: Sheep in Fog


The hills step off into whiteness.
People or stars
Regards me sadly, I disappoint them.

The train leaves a line of breath.
O slow
Horse the colour of rust,

Hooves, dolorous bells 
All morning the
Morning has been blackening,

A flower left out.
My bones hold a stillness, the far
fields melt my heart.

They threaten
To let me through to a heaven
Starless and fatherless, a dark water.


Another poem in which the poet is using animals to write about something else. This was written around the turn of 1962/63, a few weeks before Plath's suicide - which makes it easy to understand the self-pity of "I disappoint them." The poem gradually comes to life, starting with the slow of "O slow horse" (the pull between slowness and a horse's physicality tells of the oppression holding the poet back), and ending in the dark heaven of "the far fields" from which the unmentioned sheep of the title have become absent.

No comments:

Post a Comment