Friday 28 October 2016

Yórgos Chronás: Small Fish



I'll stay here, said the small fish 
With my one eye stroking the keels and the other 
                calculating the distance down 
The seabed. 
My mouth I'll open and shut like in the glass bowls 
                in central patisseries 
Inarticulate cries I will not make 
I'll sleep forever the stream will take me 
to wake up sometime 
In flames 
in a black viscous liquid tar or petrol 
A provincial port, 
My body, blue sailors 
Copper captains 
Black kitchen utensils will mourn 
Waiters will announce my presence
Children playing under the tables, on Formica surfaces 
Ignorant ones slotting coins in juke boxes 
                in telephone boxes, for hours 
Spouses will love the peace 
Paying for the view with salad and cheese 
                they'll love women 
The drum roll to suit my burial I'll not hear.


Tr. Maria Consta. From Ancient Infants (1980). Many years ago, in a cheap harbourside restaurant in Greece, I ordered fish (such was the option, in full) and got a plate stacked high with small fried fish. "What sort of fish are they?" I asked the waiter. "Little fish!" he replied, and walked off. Now I've found a poem to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment